Tuesday, May 19, 2009

Here Is Whats Up

Aubrey is huge. No cross that. Aubrey is gigantic. Every time I turn around she is an inch taller. Seriously. She is more than half my height at two years old, and I seriously feel like I am carrying around a 4 year old. I think it is starting to wear me down. Literally, I have to remind myself to stand up straight when I am not holding her so I don't get a hump back by the time I'm 30.

She had P.T. on Monday, and it went pretty well. We were able to get her to take 3 steps in a row about four or five times. Her P.T. keeps saying "she is so close, Megan." And I say "but that's what you said two months ago."

In terms of cognitive development Aubrey has made a lot of progress lately. She is actually playing with her toys, and understands the cause and effect of the buttons, levers. etc. She has also learned how to color with crayons (sort of), which took me about 6 months to teach her. And ever since we brought home Stella, Aubrey has been babbling quite a bit more. We're actually starting to hear some consonants like "ba" and "da" and "ga". When we all went out for a walk yesterday evening she was babbling the whole time. It was great! Of course her standard favorite continues to be "oooooooooohhhhhh".

As Aubrey's mother I find myself continually trying to balance between cheerfully optimistic and negative nancy. Where I stand generally just depends on the day. Matt and I are usually opposite...he is optimistic when I am negative and vice versa. Today was a harder day for me.

I think one of the hardest parts of having a child that is not typically developing, is to see healthy, average children all around you. At church, in our extended family, in the neighborhood, at the grocery store, and yes...on blogs! I hate to say it, but sometimes it's just hard to be different from everybody else.

Despite all the good things we see Aubrey doing we still have so many questions. Questions which no one can answer for us. When will she walk, will she ever talk, will she be slow forever, will she need us to take care of her forever? And of course there are the real important questions...the ones we save just for Heavenly Father.

During these times when the unknown can easily overwhelm, it helps to focus on what we do know. We love Aubrey more than anything. She loves us more than anything. Heavenly Father has a plan for our lives, and he will help us along the way if we seek it. We are a blessed family, an eternal family. And life could be a whole lot worse

5 comments:

Hoenes Family said...

I am glad Aubrey is making such good progress. I love your dog Stella. What a cute dog. You are such a strong person.

Melanie said...

I'm glad you and Matt can balance each other out- Aubrey is lucky to have two fantastic parents.

Amanda Duke said...

You are such an amazing mother. It is totally alright to have hard days. It is so easy to compare your kids to other kids. There are 6 sets of twins in my ward and I'm the only one that had twins that had serious complications. And I still have to worry every day about Eli and if he'll be alright. Keep on keeping on and always remember what a great blessing Aubrey is.

Amanda said...

I know you are in the middle of all this and so it's hard to see the bigger picture... but you are an incredibly strong person, your writing is beautiful, and reading your blog is inspiring.

Kathryn Cooper said...

I'm not good about actually reading blogs instead of scanning, but every time I read your's I am inspired by your strength and testimony. Thank you! PS- your dog is so cute!! We are going to get one soon hopefully. Someone beat us to the last dog we wanted. Oh well.