Wednesday, April 1, 2009

Health and Such

Aubrey had her 2 year check up today, and it went pretty well. She was in the 70th percentile for weight and, not surprisingly, her height was in the 95th percentile. That girl is tall. Today she was standing up and holding on to the baby gate between the kitchen and family room. When I stood right next to her, her head was as tall as my hip bone. Sheesh.

All in all the appointment went well. I never really know how to feel when I leave these appointments. On the one hand I am happy to know that Aubrey is healthy and growing well. On the other hand it's hard to leave a 2 year check up with a 2 year old who isn't walking or talking yet. But Aubrey's doctor is great. She is so kind and understanding. She helps me to remember that Aubrey is her own kind of normal. And she doesn't make me fill out those gruesome developmental questionnaires. Bless her heart.

In the past we have opted not to get Aubrey vaccinated. She has received all of the vaccinations up until her 9th month. Vaccinations can be a controversial subject, I know. I think the main reason we chose to stop was because we felt like Aubrey was already struggling so much that we wanted to wait until she was older and a bit more developed. We also have some family members who are affected by autism. Additionally, Matt was allergic to vaccines when he was a child, so he didn't really get most of his shots until he went on his mission. Regardless of the reasons, it is what felt right for us. My guess is that if Aubrey were a "typically developing" child, we probably would have kept up on the vaccinations.

So the plan has always been to begin catching Aubrey up on her vaccines one at a time (none of this "let's give her 5 shots all in one days" business), once she turned two. But I hadn't even thought about it until today when the doctor asked if we were going to give Aubrey any shots today. I thought about it, but for some reason I wasn't able to bring myself to go forward with it quite yet. I don't really even know quite why. I guess I really just need to to more research on the subject, converse with Matt on the subject, and address my underlying fears on the subject. Apparently this is also something to pray about.

On a completely unrelated note...I am sick. Blech. It's funny how I am always surprised about the injustice of being sick when you're the mom. You would think that after 2 years I would have caught on to the fact that mom's don't get "sick days". Yet, every time I get sick (which thankfully, isn't often), I cannot believe how unfair it is. Not only is there no one to get me cough drops, make me soup, and rub my feet...but I still have to keep doing my regular job! Who knew?

(I can totally see my mom rolling her eyes when she read that last paragraph.)

Thankfully Matt is a good husband/daddy. He made and fed Aubrey dinner tonight while I wallowed on the couch. Then he bathed her and got her ready for bed while I wallowed some more. Then after we got her into bed he went grocery shopping while I wallowed on the couch some more.

He is my favorite.

6 comments:

Hoenes Family said...

She is way tall! I know what you mean about being sick. I have had that "aha" moment too. Not fair. Agreed. I am glad Matt was so helpful to you!

Lauren Davison said...

There is something strangely satisfying about couch wallowing when sick. It just feels right. :) You'll just have to teach Aubrey how to wallow with you. Then you can take a break from SOME of your job... ;)

Mrs. S said...

I'm with you on worrying about shots. I stress over it majorly. Both girls are all up to date on their shots....but L's next set of shots are her 12 month ones, and that's when I start stressing out. I haven't decided if I'm doing her 12 month shots. I need to pray about it too, and if I do I'm going to Have Neal give her a father's blessing before hand.

Two Dot Crew said...

i totally sympathize with the vaccinations...living on a cattle ranch, jordan believes in vaccinating EVERYTHING, but i've always been hesitant. just some advice Reiny's doctor gave me...your child can live with autism, they cannot live with polio. but then again, in aubrey's case...do you really want to subject her to more? she is so beautiful, prayer is definitely where to find this answer. good luck!

missy. said...

A great book for information about vaccines is "The Vaccine Book" by Bob Sears (http://www.askdrsears.com/thevaccinebook/). It includes alternative vaccination schedules for parents who are looking to minimize the potential risks of vaccines. Maybe see if they have it at your library--it has lots of good, unbiased information and is very sensitive to parents' concerns about vaccination.

whitney said...

What a beautiful little two year old you have! I can't even believe she is that old! It seems like only last week you were so miserable and pregnant! Goodness, Aubrey is gorgeous though. Every time I see a picture of her I think that.