Thursday, March 26, 2009

Add Another One To The List

I'm freaking out a little bit.

Over the last month or so we've been noticing some discoloration on Aubrey's teeth. At first we didn't pay much attention to it. Since we had already stopped giving her a night time bottle, and were already brushing her teeth everyday, we just decided to brush longer and more thoroughly.

But over the past week it has been getting more and more noticeable. The stains are getting darker and are on more teeth. But what to do? There is no way in hell Aubrey will sit in a dentists chair and keep her mouth open while a complete stranger prods her teeth with sharp tools. Most kids don't go to the dentist for the first time until they are 3, let alone 2 with a disability.

So I decided to consult Doctor Google. After doing some research on respectable websites and scouring the message boards I found out that it is very common for children with Sotos Syndrome to have bad teeth. Soft teeth, poor enamel, discoloration, high incidence of cavities, and on and on and on. Just great. My 2 year old has rotting teeth. So now we have to try and find a pediatric dentist who can sedate a 2 year old with a disability.

Things are so complicated with this girl. 3 types of therapy, genetic counseling, foot braces, walkers, and rotting teeth just to name a few. It's moments like this that I want to throw my hands up in the air and ask why?

Too bad that doesn't get me anywhere.

10 comments:

missy. said...

oh gosh, i'm sorry megan. that is frustrating and scary.

have you asked around at your mom and tots group? maybe someone can give you a recommendation of a good toddler-friendly dentist in the area? i hope you find a great dentist; good luck...

Amy Jane said...

Meagan, that is so hard. I hope that you find a good pediatric dentist! And I just wanted to say..your blog background is totally cute. ;)

Katie said...

Oh, I'm sorry Megan. I know that there are some great pediatric dentists out there so ask around. Also, I've heard from dental students/oral surgery residents here that sometimes they do put kids completely out when it is necessary. You'll find someone you like.

Unknown said...

We go to Dr. Nathan Stevenson. He's a pediatric dentist and he is just down the street. Its on 126th and about 4000 W. I don't know if he sedates or his experience with kids with disabilities but he is nice and the whole place is geared toward kids with fish tanks, friendly staff, etc. I hope you find someone soon. Let me know!

Hoenes Family said...

Oh man megora. If you lived in Arizona, I could give you a great referral. I can however give you some comfort when it comes to sedation at the dentist. That is how Kenzi got her teeth cleaned. It was during her root canal. You have my number, please call if you want to talk.

Melanie said...

Oh no! The dentist is scary enough, let alone taking him on as a 2-year-old! But that beautiful Bree smile makes up for any minor discolorations or rotting! Good luck!

Anonymous said...

Did you know that the Sotos Syndrome Support Association is holding a conference in Salt Lake on July 31-August 2nd?

Megan said...

Anonymous,

Yes, I know about the SSSA conference this summer. But thanks anyway.

Unknown said...

I am so glad to know that God doesn't give us more than we can handle, but that means you sure have the ability to handle a lot!! I admire you in every way.

Lars said...

The one B recommended does sedate for anxiety or special needs. Email or call me for details.