Recently Aubrey and I have started attending a Mom and Tots class that is specifically geared towards kids with special needs. I can not begin to say what this class has meant for both Aubrey and I. It is such a blessing.
Each week class starts of with free time. All the kids are allowed to play with the toys and each other, crawl or walk around exploring the room, and get adjusted to the environment. During this time the moms just talk and watch the kids play. Then we all sit in a circle and have singing time. The teacher uses signs, and has the kids participate by also using signs or gestures. When singing time is over all the kids "walk" over to a table where they make a craft. This is where we practice fine motor skills. Then we clean up and have snack time. During snack time they address feeding issues, make the kids use manners (signing or saying please, thank you, and more), and work on self feeding. Then we blow bubbles and sing the goodbye song. It is the best hour of our whole week.
I think the reason we both love it so much is because it is such a safe place. And by that I mean it is a safe place for Aubrey to just be who she is, and a safe place for me to be who I am as her mother. There is no need to make excuses for her different behavior, or explain her challenges. There are no expectations for Aubrey to act "normal". It just doesn't matter to anybody there. All that matters is having fun and learning some things along the way.
I love that we all understand each other. We all get what a big deal it is when a child learns how to get the sticker off the paper and put in on a different paper. We all sing the praises for the child who says "mo mo" for more snack. And we all get so excited for the child who walks to the table by himself for the first time. We rejoice in these small miracle together. And we really get it. And even though I only know the other mothers by their first names, those women are my sisters. We are sisters because even though all of our children are different and have different challenges, we have one thing in common. We are all in a position we never expected to be in, and we're just trying to make our way through.
I will never stop being grateful for the amazing people that the Lord brings into our life, at just the right time.
6 comments:
That sounds absolutely wonderful to feel so understood and not judged. Do you think they have a class like that for crazy hyper boys who have a tendency to lash out in violence when they get really frustrated?? Maybe I should start one.
You don't know me. I found you from a link on Rachel's blog. I just read all your posts about Aubrey. You are doing great. I am amazed at your -as you put it- "Warrior" attitude. Thank you for your uplifting blog.
Did I ever tell you that my masters at BYU had to do with doing theatre/drama with special needs children? I miss working with these kids SO MUCH! I can't work in the area right now due to greencard changes and etc, I'd need more certification, but I miss it. Those children, like Aubrey, ARE extremelly special and made me smile every single day! She is so blessed to have you as her mom! And those teachers/tecnitians are blessed to have you two in their class.
What a blessing to have such a great group to be a part of!
That group sounds like it is a wonderful blessing for you and Bree. She is so darn pretty, Megan! We miss you guys.
How wonderful for you! It's so great to be around moms who really get it-whatever "it" might happen to be. I'm so happy you have such a great blessing in your life.
Post a Comment