Monday, November 3, 2008

Here's To You Grandma


Dear Grandma,

Today is your 80th birthday! I know we haven't seen each other for a while, but I'm sure you don't look a day over 60...and I hope you don't feel a day over 40. I wish so much that I could be with you to celebrate this birthday with a big bowl of ice cream, a trip to the mall, and a rousing game of hearts (I would even let you shoot the moon). But you know, I've got this little one to look after. And then there is that small matter of 2000 miles between us.

Well, even though I can't be with you in person today, I hope you know that I am thinking about you. There are also a few other things that I want you to know on this special day.

I want you to know that you have filled my memory with so many happy moments. I want you to know how lucky I feel to have inherited your red hair, and all the spunk that comes with it. I want you to know that anyone who has the pleasure of hearing your giggle is a lucky person.

I also want you to know that sometimes I have dreams about your delicious potato soup with dumplings. And I know that at any moment I could walk into your house and feel completely at home. I know I could just walk in the door, grab a sprite from the fridge, and sit down for a game of dominoes. And thinking about being there with you and Grandpa Bob feels like a warm blanket.

I want you to know that you are funny. Seriously grandma! You are. Sometimes I can even just think about something you said or did once and find myself in a fit of laughter. You have a wonderful sense of humor, and have helped me learn not to take myself or others too seriously.

And lastly, on your 80th birthday I want you to know how much I hope to be like you when I'm 80. If I am like you, then I would know that my children, grandchildren, husband, and friends love me.

I miss you so much. Have a wonderful birthday!

Love Forever,

Meggy



3 comments:

Kristyn said...

What a sweet tribute!!

I LOVE the Halloween party Matt's mom threw! Wow. And I think Matt totally looks and stands like his dad. Maybe it was jsut the pciture, who knows. Bree is a doll as a bumblebee! I love it!

Kika VilaNova said...

aw that was super cute!! I miss my grandma!!

And I love your new blog lay-out!! :)

Anonymous said...

Thank you, Meggy, for the wonderful words of love. You know that I miss you and Sally and your visits every summer.I miss being around your sweet fanily and getting to know Aubrey.

We love you,

Grandma