Friday, October 10, 2008

Insomnia Blogging

I can't sleep. It's just one of those nights. So here I am. Here are a few of the random things that have been rolling around in my head for the past hour.

-I seriously cannot get over the cost of food these days. Or I should say the cost of EVERYTHING. I remember the good old days when I used to be able to get out of the grocery store having spent no more than $100 for a weeks worth of food. Yesterday I went to the store for my weekly trip and spent $165 dollars. And I didn't even get everything on my list (I forgot diapers and paper towels). Everything I got was either generic or on sale (except for produce of course. Also, I draw the line on peanut butter. I must have my reduced fat Jif). I have gotten out of the habit of clipping coupons...I guess it's time to start again!

-I love Aubrey's P.T. Julie so much. Seriously...she's like a third grandmother to Aubrey and a third mother to me. She seriously loves Aubrey, and is on her side all the way. When I called and told her about Aubrey's recent visit at PCMC she went online and found all of this wonderful info on Sotos Syndrome for me. She always encourages me and when Aubrey does something well she compliments both of us. Today she was working with Aubrey on crawling up the stairs, and Bree did really good! Julie was just as proud of her and excited for her as I was. And after every session she leaves me with a little bit of wisdom. Today's morsel..."Look at what happens when you take it one day at a time! Aubrey is going to prove us all wrong." Sometimes I feel like the reason we moved here was just so that Julie could be a part of our lives. She is such a blessing!

-It feels like this election has been going on for years, doesn't it? I know it's important and all...but I am getting so sick of the desperate attempts of both parties to ruin their opponents reputation with ridiculous smear campaigns. I appreciate the political process...but I really hate politics. And in this election I feel like it's a choice between the lesser of two evils. Let's just get on with it already! Although I have been quite enjoying the SNL parodies!

-I still have no idea what we are all going to be for Halloween. Sometimes this makes me feel like an inadequate mother. All my friends have had their costumes planned out for what seems like months. But whatever. I figure I'll be a little more prepared when Aubrey will actually care about her costume.

-It's going to snow in the valley this weekend. Is it just me or does it seem like Fall lasted for about a week? So. Not. Fair.

-I feel that I am going to take another hiatus from the chocolate chip cookie endeavors. I can't waste anymore good chocolate chips, flour, and butter on cookies that are all gonna end up in the trash. But that's OK. I have a killer pumpkin chocolate chip cookie recipe that will work spectacularly!

That is all for now. I am fading quickly and off to bed. My momma is coming tomorrow. I like her a lot:)

8 comments:

Eliza said...

I hear you on the frustrations of the price of food. Paul and I have been tackling that issue lately (see a post I did yesterday... I bought 34.61 worth of food but only paid $9.09!) My tips would be to get the Sunday edition of the paper with all the coupons, or ask for someone's who does get them and doesn't use them. Then check out these great money saving blogs for links to free stuff, coupons, and tips they've been a great help to us!

http://thriftyjinxy.blogspot.com/

http://www.imommies.com/

http://ipickuppennies.blogspot.com/

http://freebies4mom.blogspot.com/

http://www.couponmom.com/blog/serendipity/

http://www.commonsensewithmoney.com/

http://thecentsiblesawyer.blogspot.com/

Hope that helps some!

Rachael said...

wow! Where do you shop? I think I've only spent $100 once or twice over the last six years, and those were major stocking-up trips. Usually I spend more around $50 or $60. But I agree with you--everything is going up like crazy. Especially fresh foods.

Megan said...

Eliza, thanks so much for the tips!!! I'll start looking online for sure:)

Rachael, I have started shopping at Walmart ever since we moved because we have one close by. And their prices really are the lowest around. Where the heck do you shop...and what do you eat? Because if we were only buying $50-$60 worth of food I'm pretty sure we would be starving. Especially Matt who eats like a horse!

beapinkal said...

For now just one thing because my duties are calling...but can i get that pumpkin cookie recipe please?:)

Eliza said...

I forgot one other:

http://www.moneysavingmom.com/money_saving_mom/

Helena said...

Megan, I found your blog from Leah who just sent a mass email. So good to hear about you guys. Sounds like you have a lot on your plate. I LOVE the title of your blog. amen

Mrs. H said...

I tagged you, look at my blog for the details. I hope you're doing well. It sounds like there's a lot on your plate. I hope things start to lighten up.

whitney said...

I'm sooo not loving the smear campaigns either. It's made me lose a lot of love for both the major candidates.

Yay for having such a PT! She sounds golden. I too have found that having health care people on your side can really make a difference in your overall attitude towards health struggles, ya know.