-So, as promised (to myself) I attempted making chocolate chip cookies again this week. I wish I could say I found success. But I didn't. I began my attempt by buying all new baking ingredients (flour, baking soda, vanilla extract, etc.) just to insure that everything would be fresh. Then I asked for assistance, in the form of my husband double checking the recipe and my measurements. He was very helpful, and I was very hopeful! But alas...no bueno. Matt assured me that they were tasty, and they were...but they were also flat as pancakes! I talked to my mother in-law later that day and she said I probably just needed to add a little extra flour. *Sigh*. Someone please tell me why I never took a home economics class.
-Note to self: It's not a good idea to keep your bottle of hairspray and your bottle of body spray right next to each other underneath the bathroom sink. Especially when they're the same color. Because, while getting ready in a rush it's quite easy to confuse the two. And by the time you've sprayed body spray in your hair 3 times...it's too late to go back. And even though sweet pea is a nice scent, 3 squirts in the hair is mighty strong. I'm just saying.
-Matt had to work extra late on Monday because he's starting up a new project. By the way...isn't it cool that he builds stuff? I think it's so cool that he is starting a project right now that he can only see on paper, and in a year and 1/2 there will actually be a building to show for it! It still amazes me. Anyway. I knew Aubrey and I would be on our own for dinner, so I decided to go and get a little something I really enjoy that I rarely get to eat. Sushi! Mmmm. I put Aubrey to bed and enjoyed every last bite all to myself. Heaven.
-So there is a new show on Fox called Fringe. Matt and I have seen the previews and decided we would check it out, mainly because J.J. Abrams is one of the creators...and he has made some of our favorite shows (Alias and Lost). The Premiere was on last night and in terms of thrill, intrigue, and science fiction it didn't disappoint. But the acting was questionable. So we're still undecided about whether it's worth out time or not.
-I'm just going to take a moment to brag about my sweet husband. A few weeks ago Matt told me he planned a date for me, but that it was a surprise. He also informed me that he had already arranged babysitting for Aubrey, and that all I had to do was show up. I was so excited to find out what he planned, but he wouldn't tell me. Then one day he got something in the mail and he said it was for our date. He asked if I wanted to know and of course I said yes. He just couldn't keep it from me anymore. So he pulls out two tickets to see the musical My Fair Lady at Pioneer Theater in Salt Lake! I was so excited. This is one of my all time favorite musicals. He said he was listening to the radio one day and heard an add for it. He knew how much I loved that show, so as soon as he got he called his parents to make sure they could babysit and then bought tickets. Cute, huh?
That is the end of my random ramblings for the day.
10 comments:
I have had that same problem with cookies, the oven would beep after preheating and I would put them in the oven. Well it turns out my oven was beeping about 100 degrees too soon. I got a oven therm. and made cookies, they were perfectly round. The best cookies I have ever made! Best of luck.
I think I may have the answer to your cookie problem. It sounds like you don't have enough flour--are they spreading out really badly as you bake them?
Try weighing your flour in grams. You may just have to get a good food scale for this, but we did an experiment the other night in an Enrichment activity. We had three different women measure out a half cup of flour--it was supposed to weigh 79 grams. Mine weighed 71, another woman's weighed 67, and one weighed 52! So a lot of it just depends on how "full" your measurements are, and how dense. If you start doing it in grams--which many recipes will give equivalents--you may have better results.
I really hope this helps!
Oh man, I too love love love Sushi. It really is the best. I've tried to make it a few times to no avail, kindof turns out like your cookie problem, sad. We also want to check out Fringe...(being mega Lost fans)...Although I don't think I'll be able to see that mega tall black guy as anyone but Abinon (sp?) from Lost... And Yay for such an awesome husband! I too love that musical, how fun!
It sounds like you did everything absolutely right with the cookies. I think you might need Betty Crocker to watch you and tell you what you are doing wrong. Then you can tell me what she says because I have no luck with chocolate chip cookies either! That was so nice of Matt to plan a date for you and babysitting! Someday I hope Taylor will do that!
I think that is so sweet about your surprise date. You have to tell us how it was!
I will have to check out that show, fringe.
I love your random ramblings! I think that generally at higher altitudes you need more flower (think). When I measured flour in UT I always pressed it into the measuring cup slightly. Then again, I don't know how good my cookies ever turned out! :) The hairspray thing really made me laugh. you and Matt are so cute.
Yay for suprise dates. Go, Hubs!
I'm behind on my blog reading, and I just watched the video of Aubrey scooting across the floor. Yay! Great job Aubrey! Oh, and I'm going to have to have my husband read this post to learn from Matt's shining example.
You should use this recipe of mine where you use 2 and 1/2 cups of blended oats as well as 2 cups of flour. It makes it a little thicker. It is the best chocolate chip recipe I've ever had and they always turn out great. I'll email it to you.
The best cookies ever....works every time!
1 Cup Sugar
1 1/3 Cups Brown Sugar
2/3 lb Butter (2 ½ cubes)
Mix for 2 minutes and add
2 eggs
1 1/3 tsp vanilla
4 cups of flour
1 tsp salt
1 tsp baking soda
Mix, then add...
2 cups chocolate chips
Nuts optional
Bake at 350 for 7-8 minutes.
Post a Comment