
When I was in college I had a part time job working at Quizno's. Or as I like to call it, Quiz-Ho's. Anyway, one of the perks of being a Quizno's employee was that while I was working I could drink as much soda as I wanted, for free. It was during that time that I became an addict. My drug of choice? Dr. Pepper. Oh how I love it's rich creamy flavor.
It's funny really, because I grew up in a strictly caffeine free home. My good parents hardly ever bought soda when I was growing up...but when they did it was always Sprite, Root Beer, or some sort of caffeine free pop (In MI it's called pop, not soda). I don't know why their un-caffeinated ways didn't stick with me. Was it was curiosity, rebelliousness, tiredness? I just don't know.
Thankfully I got help with my addiction. My help came in the form of a few gained pounds, and my very first cavities (ever). Now I'm a social drinker (ha!). We don't really bother buying soda anymore...especially with the price of groceries these days. But I do allow myself some good old D.P. when we go on dates, or I have a Mommies Night Out. Now what I've found is that If I drink anything with caffeine after 4 pm, I'm gonna be up all night.
Anyway. A few months ago there was an article in the Ensign about The Word Of Wisdom. It touched briefly on the topic of caffeinated drinks. Basically, it states what I already knew (and have been taught from goodly parent). Caffeine isn't good for you.
I've been thinking about it a bit lately...and I was just curious what other's thoughts were on the topic. Do you refrain? And if so, what are your reasons? Even though The Word of wisdom doesn't specifically talk about caffeine, do you still think it applies? Are you a "social drinker" like me? I'm really interested, so please share!
14 comments:
This is a good post and a good subject! Well- here is what I think or how I do. I know coffeine is not the best thing for my body and I also know why. I never really had problems with caffe (?) or any other drink. But I like cola. I do like it. I think it's not a problem if you drink it every once in a while... like you said-maybe on a date or MNO:) I don't drink it often but when I'm craving for a cola I would buy one. I think the problem is when people can't leave with out a cola or some other coffeine drink. I remember when I got babtized I stopped eat those chocolates which had some rum or other kind of flavor in it. I thought it would be a sin. But ofter a little while I realized that as long as it just a flavor it's not a sin. Back to the coffeine thing... I also think that as long as you drink Dr. Pepper just because you like the flavor and not because the coffeine in it- it's ok. Every once in a while. :) But that how I feel. I'm curious for other thoughts as well:)
That's a good topic. I refrain from sodas just because I want to be healthier. The word of wisdom for me goes beyond alcohol and cigarettes, it means *I* have to do everything I can to keep *my* body healthy. For some people and their metabolism, a soda here and there may not be bad, but I gain weight easy, I have bad joints already and carbonation only makes me feel and look worse. So for me, the word of wisdom means to also avoid sugary stuff, fried foods, and all that. Of course, I am NOT PERFECT in that, I love me some chocolate icecream! And I will have cake at someone's bday, but in my house we don't allow ANYTHING that's not clean like lean meats, veggies, fruits, dairy. Period. So, I am a hipocrate cuz I try not to allow it in my house but I do have a treat at someone else's... ha!
I agree with the previous ladies in that chocolate cake or whatever other kind of "bad" foods can be against the word of wisdom, too. But, everything in moderation (so cliche...I know)! I also grew up in a strictly caffeine-free home, but now I have no problem drinking it in soda.
I too like Dr. Pepper, but down here in Texas you can get Dublin Dr. Pepper (it's independent of the normal Dr. Pepper). It's made with real cane sugar instead of high fructose corn syrup. If you ever get your hands on some, try it!
My mom and I were just talking about this subject this morning. I occasionally like to have a diet soda. I never paid too much attention to whether it was caffeinated or not. I do know that caffeine can be addictive and I think that can be another reason that we are advised not to drink it.
Also another question on the subject...it has been said that hot drinks are not good for the body or belly. Where does that leave Hot Chocolate!? I would love to know what others think about that.
Good topic. A touchy one too. I have caffiene occasionally too. I love Dr. P too, but I'm really big on fountain drinks, not out of the can. Oddly enough, I crave DP the most when I'm pregnant. (I know, not good). Neal doesn't like me drinking caffiene so I typically don't. I'm still undecided on my stance. I don't want M to drink it...so maybe that's my answer since I shouldn't do something i don't want her to do... I've thought about this for years.
I think the Word of Wisdom is to keep us healthy. I drink caffeine sometimes but find it is breaking the word of wisdom or becoming a problem when it becomes an addiction. Like Katie said, Moderation in all things. Drink some Dr. Pepper when you feel like it!
I pretty much stay away from caffeinated drinks altogether. I don't think it's evil or anything, but it is a drug. I've seen many people who are addicted to caffeine. I know a guy who had to plug his nose to drink water he drank so much Dr. Pepper. I don't even really like soda (pop) at all, because water is really much better for you. I figure it's better if I just don't introduce it to my body and then I don't have to worry about it. I guess if I had hot chocolate every day, it would be just as bad. Plus, soda is pretty expensive and it's basically sugar water. I'd rather save my money.
I found that article interesting too, and I decided to take it strictly from a doctor's point of view... so, with a grain of salt like I do with all of my doctor's appointments. Because, like he says the church hasn't come out with an official statement about caffeine, therefore it is up to us, just like all of the other drugs and substances that we choose to put in our body. I grew up in a caffeine-free home, but Geren grew up in a practically caffeine ONLY home, so, now I find myself drinking one of his cokes every once in awhile. And though I don't want Quincey drinking a lot of it while he is a young kid...I don't want him eating a lot of sweets either, but this doesn't stop me from drinking/eating either one. We give these things to him sparingly. Anyways, as always you rock, thank you for bringing up these fun discussions, I love hearing what others think.
To address that other question... Latter Day Prophets have defined hot drinks as coffee and tea only.
Ahhh, Coke. Oh how I looooove Coke. And the flavors! Vanilla coke. . .lime coke. . .lemon coke. . .but I digress.
I think Bea's dead on about it really being a problem if you feel like you HAVE to have the caffeine. I also came from a caffeine-free home, and still feel kind of weird when I go out to eat with my family and want to order a Coke. For Mike and me, we were drinking more caffeine and soda than I felt comfortable with for our health, so we made a decision not to keep any kind of soda in the house unless it's for like a party or something. But it does mean that pretty much any time we go out to eat I get a Coke. :)
This has been quite the dilema for me too! Currently I am on a non-soda drinking streak..its been like four months or something. Basically the reason I don't drink soda (for the time being, we'll see how long it lasts) is because I was pretty much addicted to Mt. Dew. I think its just easier for me to not drink any soda at all that way I don't justify it all the time. So basically, I have no self restraint. haha.
I've always stayed away from caffeine. Not to be a goody-two-shoes, but I felt like if the general authorities recommended it--even if it wasn't a commandment per se--it was something I should follow. My parents were really clear on this, so it just wasn't an issue growing up--I knew that wasn't acceptable in our house.
This isn't to say that I've NEVER had anything with caffeine--my roommates freshman year drank a lot of Dr. Pepper and so I tried some, and occasionally I've had a drink when I was driving all night. I've found, however, that I tend to get headachy when I drink caffeine, so it's never bothered me to NOT drink it. I also try to avoid soda in general because of the health issues.
Bottom line: I think there are certainly worse things you can do. But I also think that we have been given a recommendation that IS obviously good for our physical health, and I always feel like I'm in better spiritual health when I'm aligning myself with prophetic counsel, even when it's something like taking out my second piercing. I just feel like I need to obey as much as I can on the small things so I'm in that pattern for the big things.
Sorry to be so long-winded!
Meg, you should check your email. Esther is in Utah and I'm having dinner with her in Salt Lake.
I used to totally HATE soda, but I started drinking a little bit of diet because it's not as disgustingly sugary. But I do drink the stuff with caffeine. Sometimes it really helps my muscle aches. I do live with a flaming DR. Pepper addict. We joke about him falling off the wagon. We now live in Texas and I want to know how to get my hands on some for hubby. Does that mean I'm his dealer?
Post a Comment