Monday, April 14, 2008

Nursery and Weekend Rundown

In my married student ward (I'm a Mormon) children go into the nursery when they are 14 months old rather than 18 months. I think this is great. I love Aubrey to pieces, but she can be a real wiggle worm during church...and it's been a long time since I've really been able to pay attention in Sunday school.

Technically speaking, Aubrey will be old enough to enter nursery in less than a month. The nursery only used to have two kids...but seeing as how me and about half of the ward conceived all within 3 months of each other, the nursery recently started filling up! Right now there are 6 kids in nursery ranging in age from 14 months all the way to 3 years old. And I believe on average there are 2 nursery leaders at a time.

I've been feeling really conflicted about how to handle the nursery situation. Even though Aubrey is the right age, she is nowhere near the other kids in terms of physical development. Not being able to walk or even crawl really makes her vulnerable in a room full of rambunctious toddlers. And all though she can sit and play pretty well these days, she still needs someone to keep a close eye on her.

For a long time I thought we would just opt to keep taking her with us to the first 2 meetings, but then that doesn't feel quite right either. You see, I've always felt really strongly that I shouldn't limit Aubrey's experiences or opportunities because of her developmental delays. I don't ever want to treat her like she's different or limited in any way...if that makes sense. And I know she wouldn't know right now, but I feel like I really need to make a point to provide her with the opportunity to interact with other kids her age and have the same experiences as those kids.

Anyway, I don't have any concluding thoughts on the subject...this is about as far as I've gotten.

Moving along. Here is the rundown of our weekend:

Friday: Chinese food and Spiderman 3
Saturday: shopping, looking at and ruling out townhouses (too small!), and a barbecue with friends.
Sunday: glorious weather, glorious ward conference, glorious early evening walk, and an evening spent looking at houses online.

The End

17 comments:

Nilla said...

Sorry to weigh-in again on your blog... But, I wanted to mention a few things, simply because I am the nursery leader in my ward right now. I know that you are not in charge of such things, and I don't know how the Primary Pres in your ward is as far as being open to suggestions... But if the nursery is growing and will continue to be big, she might want to consider calling more nursery workers. I know that it is often hard to find people willing to work in nursery, but I think this ward has a pretty good idea. The nursery leader and assistant leader (when there is one) stay the whole 2 hours. The other workers only are called for either the first or second hour. Anyway, perhaps they could call extra people, and maybe even have one assigned specifically to your daughter, just to prevent any harm. Because, you're right -- the kids who can walk and stuff are all over the place. And though it wouldn't be hard for one of the nursery workers to have Bree in her lap during the play time (I find my lap is always filled with one child or another every Sunday during this time, and it's so sweet), it would be harder when it comes time for lessons and stuff if there aren't enough people. Anyway, I don't know if these suggestions are worth much. But it sounds like the nursery in your ward is about to get pretty big! I applaud your efforts to be brave and allow Bree to progress, even though it can be frightening when you worry about her getting hurt. I'm not a mother, though I hope to be one someday soon. But I know children thrive around other children. Who knows? Maybe having Bree in with the other children will help her continue to progress quicker! (Sorry again to weigh in on such a personal matter, since I don't know you. I hope you don't mind terribly).

Melanie said...

I was just thinking about this yesterday! And I'd have to agree with 'nilla'- Aubrey should go to nursery, but she'd need a one-on-one helper, and that's okay. There is an article in this month's Ensign about a sister that was called to take care of one boy in Primary. That's what Primary is for! I definitely think Catherine Smith would be open to the idea- so go for it! It could be a real blessing- for all of you!

Unknown said...

yes, agreed! and at least you won't have to worry about Quincey;) When are you guys planning on leaving again?

Megan said...

Nilla, never apologize for commenting on my blog! (unless you say something mean, which i don't think you would). I really appreciated you input!

Mrs. S said...

I agree with what everyone said. I was primary pres in our last ward and that's what I would have done...call someone just for her. I would talk to the bishop or Catherine about it. Bree will do great in there...she'll just need a body guard against all the little eye-pokers (i.e. My Daughter).

Kristin Hanson said...

My two cents - tell the bishop of your concerns and Catherine. I'm positive both will be more than accommodating!

Erin_C said...

Not that I'm an expert, but I agree with everyone else! Bree is such a happy, beautiful baby, she'll do great. Oh, I just found your blog and wanted to let you know so I'm not a blog stalker;-) I really enjoy what I've read so far--you're a talented writer!

Eliza said...

I had no idea that married student wards got to start nursery earlier. We've always just been in normal family wards where you must wait until they are 18 months. I agree with everyone else. The bishopric and primary presidency will be more than willing to help her out.

...and it's funny because I posted about nursery today too.

Erica said...

ditto to going to nursery. aubrey would love it and it would be beneficial for you guys as well. i'm sure everyone would be more than willing to help accommodate wherever it's needed. keep us updated on how everything goes!

Katherine Ronachert said...

i'm back...
i worked in a preschool. one of the little boys there had a developmental disability. he was 2 and crawling, and his physical therapist was beginning to teach him how to walk.
anyway, get to the point, he seemed to do really well with the other children and it made him have the desire to be with them and work harder.
i'm a firm believer that you are doing the right thing. she will know by your actions that she is/isn't different. she should have every opportunity that any other 14 mos old has.
and might i add, 14 mos! how lucky!!!
on a totally different note, some of my friends said that in several wards they attended the nursery was actually divided from 15 mos to 2 yrs and the second class was 2-3 yrs because there was such a difference.
anyway, good luck! oh, ps, mrs. s is the most level headed of all the sisters. don't judge her by her wacky family! ;)

Katherine Ronachert said...

ps i just read the first two comments. i completely forgot! but i was called to serve as an assistant to one child in nursery as well. i swear i'm losing my mind!

Kathryn Cooper said...

I agree with getting a Bree special helper. She'll love being with the other kids. And there's nothing wrong with you or Matt staying with her for 1 or 2 hours for the first month or so. I'm not sure if that'll make it harder for her when you decide for her to fly solo, but we did that and I loved knowing what went on during nursery. Then I could help at home with sharing, pushing, biting, drinking from a different sippy cup... I felt better knowing the routine of nursery.

Lauren Davison said...

WOW! Talk about lots of comments! All I have to say, is that you better send her in to nursery, because I get to go in and sing with them for about five minutes every sunday, and she will make it that much better! :)

The Tchongas said...

Oh, I don't even konw what to say because I don't have those feelings yet since I don't have a child. But, all I could say is, follow your heart, Heavenly Father will always let you know what is best for your daughter :)

hugs!!

Aubrey said...

Bree will probably do great in Nursery. You do have a natural concern, and I would have the same. Talk to someone about keeping a special eye on her, but don't forget to let her grow. Have faith in little Bree. She'll do great!

Anonymous said...

I have mentioned before a friend of mine who has a daughter similar to yours. She was unsteady on her feet at 18 months and her mom was concerned for the same reasons as you. She ended up putting her in nursery late and then staying with her to help avoid older children hurting her. As the nursery leader at the time it was interesting that the mother never shared her concerns with us, instead it felt like she didn't trust us. The mother probably stayed in nursery for almost 4 months and then she called to work in there. So I agree with the other comments that it is important to let the nursery workers and bishop know, I would have loved to have helped her child instead of feeling like the mother didn't trust us.-Jay

Rachael said...

I think everyone else covered this pretty well, but I just want to say--I wish we got to go in at 14 months! But then again, we have 70 children under the age of 2 in our ward, and about 50 total in nursery. So they have their hands full. :-)