Wednesday, April 16, 2008

Good and Ready


I just put Aubrey down for her afternoon nap a few minutes ago. I'm getting pretty tired of all of her books, so instead of reading a book before her nap I decided I would tell her the story of her birth and look at the pictures in her baby book. While I was telling her the story I had what Oprah likes to call an "ah-hah!" moment. It went a little something like this:

"Aubrey, when you were living in my tummy you really loved it in there! You loved it so much that you wanted to stay in there forever! And you just grew and grew and grew inside of me until my tummy was out to here (holding out my arms as far as they could reach)!"

"I couldn't wait for you to come out. Everyday I used to come and sit in your room, in this very rocking chair. I would sing songs to you and read you books. I would tell you all about Daddy and how excited we were to meet you finally! I thought about what you would look like and what kind of personality you would have. I would pray and pray that heavenly father would let you come soon. But you just weren't ready yet, were you?"

"We waited, and we waited, and we waited. And then finally, when you were 5 days late, the doctor decided it was time to bring you out. Just when I thought you would never come, there you were! You sure were on your own time table, huh?"

(ah-hah! moment)

"You just like to do things when you're good and ready...maybe with a little nudge, right? I'll keep nudging, and you just let me know when you're good and ready."

10 comments:

Kristin Hanson said...

I love those moments of inspiration. And how every baby is has their distinct personality.

Nat said...

Deep. Love it.

Erica said...

did you crawl into my mind? i had that EXACT same ah-ha moment this past week. brooklyn was late as well and when i want to push her to walk or try and say a word or whatever us mothers are trying to get them to do i remember my mom telling me when i was over due and ready for the baby to come that, "she will come when she's ready." same thing for everything else. it's just hard being patient and waiting for their little timetables sometimes :)

Aubrey said...

I think the "good and ready" concept that you have described is such a hard one for mothers to be patient with. We are so eager to see the next milestone so soon. Patience is a virtue that all mothers learn eventually (It might not be until they're out of the house, but we'll learn it!). Children are their own people, and they will develop and reach their milestones when they are "good and ready". Thank you for your mothering insights. You are a great mother!

Eliza said...

I LOVE that picture of you with the milk sitting on your adorable baby belly!

Kristin Hanson said...

The contact solution is yours!

Nat said...

I don't suppose you need a babysitter for mommies night out?

Amy Jane said...

I also love that picture! Classic. And I love your blog :)

Kika VilaNova said...

I just *love* reading what you moms post on your blogs! I am learning a lot and one day, when I have my own, I will have great examples to follow. It touches me to feel how much you love your daughter, I mean, how could you now? She's such a princess! :)

whitney said...

How true! As mommies that's one of the hardest lessons for us to learn sometimes. I love those Ah-Ha moments.