Friday, January 11, 2008

In Need of a Personal Shopper!

So, Matt and I got a bit of Christmas money this year. We put the majority of it in the bank and divided the rest between us. I was in desperate need of some new clothes, so I knew exactly what I would be spending my money on. Well last night I finally got the chance to go and do some baby free shopping. I was so excited! So off I went to the mall in search of some church clothes and some casual clothes.

It was the worst shopping experience of my life (except maybe for when I went swim suit shopping after having Aubrey)! I spent close to 3 hours at the mall and Old Navy, and didn't get a single thing! I went to all my favorite stores, and some stores I don't usually shop in. I even got a little desperate and went to Nordstroms thinking..."well, if I have to spend $80 on a skirt then so be it!" But I couldn't find a single thing. Either it didn't fit right or it turned out to be too long or too short or too whatever.

I've been feeling so conflicted about shopping lately. It seems like my taste has changed since becoming a mommy...but I don't really know what I like. It's weird. I think there are so many cute styles that I would probably wear if I wasn't a mom...but now it just doesn't seem like the right choice. Not because it's inappropriate (in terms of modesty) or anything...but because I can't really justify wearing things like that when most of my days are spent at home and our only real big outing is to the grocery store. And also because I know within a few hours it will be ruined by gooey fingers and a drooly mouth. I don't want to become a grubby mommy that wears sweats all day...I've always wanted to be a cute mommy. But I think I've lost my sense of style:(

I need a personal shopper!!!:)

The night wasn't a complete waste though. In true mommy fashion, I came home with four very cute things for Bree:)

11 comments:

Mrs. S said...

I completely understand!!! Every since M was born I can't stand shopping...well I don't mind shopping, its more like I mind what things look like on my body. Its so frustrating I usually end up coming home with nothing. Its so much easier to just dress M up cute instead.

Melanie said...

I had the same experience last night! Jason and I headed to the mall to spend Christmas money, too, and I couldn't find anything! Everything I picked up either would have looked great on my 12-year old sister, or just seemed too nice to wear around the house... but what is the fun in buying nothing but jeans and t-shirts?! What a waste of a perfectly good baby-sitter... Although it was still nice to get out!

Aubrey said...

Isn't that the truth! I totally went through the same thing. When Cory graduated he needed some nice clothes for work... slacks, shirts, etc... So he thought it was only fair for his wife to get a nice outfit too. So, I was so confused as I was looking. I didn't know what I wanted/liked/ should wear anymore. I didn't want to get anything nice b/c I knew I would just be around the house all day... getting spit up on. I didn't know if I should be shopping in the Junior's or Women's. The Junior's clothes are cute, but I felt like I needed to dress like a mature mother. So, I decided to shop in the Women's section. I got a nice outift for our date night... I wouldn't wear it at home knowing how dirty they would get. I think I know what you went through...

Erica said...

I feel the same way. I love being in style and somewhat trendy but since I've had Brooklyn jeans and a shirt are about all I wear. Sometimes I wake up and think, "I'll put on some khakis (sp?) or a long necklace." But then I always decide against it and vote for something comfy :) Just know that all the other moms feel your pain and are going through the same thing :)

Kathryn Cooper said...

I know! I have a hard time buying nice clothes just to get ruined, but I get over it. I wear a cute top on Fridays (sometimes other days) and a nice dress/skirt outfit on Sundays. As your baby gets bigger it's easier to keep clean throughout the day. Drool doesn't count- I have plenty of that on my clothes all day. But I've realized if I'm at least dressed in a cute/trendy shirt and jeans with my makeup and possibly my hair done I feel great. I also wear heals to WalMart. I like feeling like I look hot! Even if only my husband sees me or cares. You are beautiful so don't try too hard; just do what makes you happy.

Rachel said...

I've never like shopping, and can never find anything that I like or fits. We should go shopping together. Don't give up on your style though. It's okay to be all dressed up with no place to go. Just make sure to buy things that aren't dry clean only.

Ann said...

Don't you miss the endless supply of clothes that having roommates gave you? Don't get me wrong, I love my "roommate" now. In fact, I wouldn't trade him for any other roommate on earth, but his wardrobe is a little on the manly side and not quite my style! I can't wait until I have girls old enough to share clothes with, but by then I'll probably be out of style and will look ridiculous wearing what's trendy.

Kristin Hanson said...

Ok #1 We really need an H&M around here #2 If you find something you like, but it's just a little too big, short, whatever, please remember that I'm a few blocks way and I can tailor just about anything and #3 We need a mommy's night out to go shopping

Rachael said...

This is one reason why I'm grateful to be teaching this semester--it gives me an excuse to wear my cute work clothes. It's funny because when Abigail was this age I would change as soon as I got home, but I just don't seem to have time with 2 kids, so I end up wearing my cute clothes all day...and they survive surprisingly well!

but on the days I don't teach, it's jeans and a t-shirt all the way!

and i have a story to tell you...I was shopping with my teenage sisters when Juliet was 3 weeks old, and they were oohing over some cute shirt, and I said, "Yeah, enjoy wearing cute clothes when you don't have kids to wreck them" and my 14-yr-old sister, who is a sweetheart but still learning tact, said something to the effect of "Oh, is that why you never wear anything cute? I wondered about that..." ouch! I almost started crying! so I've been making more of an effort since then...opting for nicer t-shirts, at least. :-)

beapinkal said...

Megan,
We didn't have our scripture study so you didn't miss from it at all:)But it will be on this Wednesday at 4 o'clock.
Playing in the snow was so much fun. you guys should go too:) And thanks for missing me today- i didn't feel good. I missed church too.

whitney said...

Oh honey, I hear ya! It seems like I spend my entire life in crew-neck tees and jeans. I figure even if I'm just wearing a stretch tee and jeans I can just throw on some heels and dangly earrings if I want to look a little cuter (yes, even to the grocery store:). I'll often go w/black. It's always flattering and can usually pass as somewhat trendy. I usually try to look decent-I have to keep my husband's attention off of all those hot little sorority girls :P