Tuesday, December 11, 2007

Hoping

Yesterday was the big day. We finally were able to go and see the neurologist again. The visit went well, and even though we didn't get the news we were hoping for, we weren't surprised by what she told us either. After doing a thorough examination of Aubrey she told us that she was concerned about her "floppiness". She said she had been hoping that Bree would have made more progress by now. She said that Bree is behind in her social abilities (not babbling, clapping, waving, etc.) as well as being behind in her gross motor skills. She is almost average with her fine motor skills, but she isn't quite there because she hasn't mastered the pincer grasp yet. And along with the poor muscle tone, she has also noticed some muscle weakness (it seems like those two things would be the same thing...but they aren't.)

So the next step is to begin testing, starting with an MRI, to take a good look at her brain. Aubrey will have to be sedated for that...so I'm kind of scared about it, but hopefully we will learn something from it. After the MRI they will probably do some blood testes and muscle enzyme tests. So, we have a long road ahead of us.

We also found out a few days ago that we don't actually qualify for the newborn medicaid, after all. So we are back at square one with no insurance. We still don't know how we are paying for our past bills or for Bree's testing...but we are looking and searching for something, hoping it will work out somehow.

Right now I think I will spare sharing the full extent of my feelings about our current situation, and save that for my journal, because I'm sure you can all guess as to our recent emotional state, and because I would like to try and make it through this day without crying (fat chance, but I'm still gonna try).

For those of you who may be wondering about the nursing situation...well, Aubrey is completely weaned. I tried doing the formula after nursing thing, but once Aubrey realized how easy it was to drink from the bottle she wanted nothing (and I mean nothing) to do with breastfeeding. I think the thing she loves the most about it is being able to watch everything that is happening around her while she eats. I was pretty sad about it for a couple days, but then I started noticing how much more alert and active Bree has been since starting formula. I think she is finally getting filled, and is really thriving now. I just don't think she was getting enough calories before, because she would only nurse for a few minutes and wasn't ever getting any of the fatty hind-milk.

So, we are hoping that Bree starts gaining some weight. We are hoping to figure out our insurance mess (or come into a massive amount of money:). We are hoping for Bree to get stronger. We are hoping for Matt to do well on his finals. We are hoping for some good news along the way. We are hoping for some relief...

9 comments:

missy. said...

we are hoping for all those things for you, too.

Unknown said...

you may not feel like it, but you seem to be handling this with a lot more class than I ever could!

whitney said...

Oh Megan! You seem to have a lot on your plate right now. It's not fun to be uninsured (we were when we moved) so hopefully that works out soon along w/all of the health issues. On a happier note Aubrey is just gorgeous! What big, pretty eyes!

Anonymous said...

You seem like the sweetest, nicest person. I felt so sad for you when reading your entry. I have a little girl about the same age as Aubrey. We are in Oregon, and here there is the Oregon Health Plan which I believe doesn't turn away children or pregnant women. Do you not have a program like that in Utah? I hope everything works out for you.

Anonymous said...

our prayers are with you. we love you. the Lord knows you are strong-he will strengthen you too. I understand your feelings and you have every right to feel the way you do. things will get better. hang in there. again, we love you.

whitney said...

Hopefully something as silly as this will perk up your day a bit. Kristin Hanson tagged me, so now I'm tagging you! Stop by my blog to figure out what I mean... If you're too stressed to do it right now, I totally understand.

Rachael said...

Megan, I hope that putting her on formula is the answer to your prayers for her muscular development and that she gains weight and skills! We're praying for you guys and for Aubrey!

Mrs. S said...

You are amazing Megan. Just a hint...be sure to register online with Enfamil or Simalac (Spelling???) or whatever formula you are using. We use Enfamil. I would put Aubrey's birthday as sometime in December 2007 and put her as FORMULA FED ONLY. Enfamil sends us coupons for formula all the time. They are good coupons too...$5, $7, and occasionally $10. That makes a big difference. If you put her true birthday they will identify her as an older baby and you probably won't get as many coupons. I know this doesn't help with all the insurance stuff, but it may help with some of the more petti costs of living!

Ann said...

It seems like one thing after another for you right now. I know I can't do much for you, but if you need anything, please call me! Even if you just wanna go out to lunch, my treat. Let me know when you wanna go and I'll be there (I must admit it's selfish on my part because then I get out of the house too!) I know it'll be hard for you if there is something wrong with Aubrey, but at least then you will finally know what is wrong and be able to treat it. It's the not knowing how to help your child that is so hard. I hope that the doctors can finally find the problem and that it's something easy to fix. You're always in our prayers!