Monday, December 3, 2007

The Christmas Tree: Then & Now

Last year Matt decided he wanted to go with his sister and brother in-law (who go every year) to cut down our Christmas tree. I decided not to take part in this activity because I was big and pregnant, and being out in the cold for hours searching for trees without a restroom in sight didn't sound like very much fun to me:) So I told Matt I trusted him...and this is the monstrosity he chose. As you can tell from this picture, he was SO excited. He LOVED this tree. He felt so proud of himself for picking out such a manly tree. I wasn't as big of a fan. It was so HUGE that it took up most of our little apartment, but what can you say to a face like this? So, the tree stayed.
But it was SUCH a pain in my neck. It was incredibly sappy. It was so sappy that it ruined our pretty tree skirt, and it left sap on our carpet that STILL won't come out! One night I awoke to a loud crash, and the sound of breaking glass. The tree was so big and uneven that it fell over and broke some of my favorite ornaments! So then, at 3 am we had to get up, fix the tree, try to remove all the sap from everything in sight, and vacuum up all the needles. *sigh* I love real trees, and I always want one...but that was a little TOO real for me:)

So, this year I got to pick the tree...and it is quite a beauty if I do say so myself! We went to a nice little lot and spent a little fortune, but I think it was worth it:) So we decorated it with Aubrey last night while we listened to Christmas music. There really is nothing more magical.

*warm feelings*

3 comments:

Melanie said...

I love it! Of course, the Beast of 2006 will always have a special place in our hearts...

Rachel said...

Wow, where did you find that thing? We cut down our tree but I don't think I ever saw anything like that. You're tree this year looks great. It's so perfect I thought it was fake at first.

Kristin Hanson said...

And that is exactly why I love fake trees. I know they don't smell as good, but I never have to worry about sap! You tree this year looks great - hopefully you won't have the same issues!