Monday, November 5, 2007

My Day

Today while I was doing dishes (some of my deepest thoughts come when doing mundane chores) I was thinking about how when I was a little girl I used to wonder what my mom did all day when I was at school. I was fortunate enough to have a mom that was able (and willing!) to stay home rather than go to work. I haven't truly realized what a blessing this was to me and my family until I became a mother myself. I remember my mom telling me about occasions where other women would make her feel like she wasn't successful because she didn't have a "job" and bring home a paycheck. I know it hurt her feelings, as it would mine! I recognize now what it took for my mom to care for her family, keep her house, fulfill her calling, maintain a healthy marriage, and keep her sanity!

Here is what I've done so far today...

shower and get ready for the day

read my scriptures

breast fed bree 6 times

fed bree solids 3 times

dusted (i even did the window sills...which hadn't been done in a LONG time)

vacuumed

did dishes/cleaned the kitchen

cleaned aubrey's room

Put away clean clothes

changed 6 diapers (3 of which were poopy...what can i say, bree is regular!)

Did all of bree's exercises and stretches

blogged

made dinner

planned a visiting teaching committee meeting

payed bills

talked to my mom and Matt's mom on the phone

And the day still isn't over!

(Note: I just want to say that this is not a blog about how being a SAHM is better then being a working mother. I try to avoid that argument at all costs! These are simply ruminations on my personal experiences as a mother. While being a SAHM is the choice I've made, I believe that every women has the right to chose what is best for her and her family.)

5 comments:

Kristyn said...

Side note: I know if I need some serious thinking time - doing dishes work great, or taking a shower, or running . . . Works every time. And Megan, I remember thinking the same think about my mom, but now looking back I now can remember seeing a clean house and stuff done that I thought just "got done" somehow. Now I know how! Funny, huh?

Kristyn said...

P.S. Thanks for the updates on your little one. Hope she keeps improving (and that she'll gain some weight).

Kathryn Cooper said...

I know! I always wondered what my mom could possibly do all day to stay busy. I definitely have my lazy days where I let the dishes and laundry pile up, but I always feel crappy on those days. I actually get a lot of energy from staying busy. It's weird. SAHM job is a lot of work but so worth it. I love it!

Kristin Hanson said...

I never did wonder what my mom did all day (I was home sick a lot as a kid), but I did wonder why in the world she got up every morning at 5 am to make my Dad breakfast and pack his lunch. I remember some really heated arguments with her about it, but now I understand. Love changes us a lot, doesn't? I still think Aubrey looks better and better every time I see her - maybe she needs a few funnel cakes to help her beef out :)

Mrs. S said...

I'm tired just reading what you did today!