Today was my birthday. I am 28. I am glad to still be in my 20's, because I feel like there is a lot more stuff I need to figure out before I'm 30. Somehow it seems like I am supposed to be smarter/calmer/and more mature by 30. Definitely not there yet.
Today was a lovely day, low key and relaxed. Just the way I hoped it would be. The older I get the less I care about my birthday. And since I am mom, it is really just like every other day of the week. When Aubrey and I came down in the morning we found a fun surprise of flowers and balloons decorating the kitchen. That Matt is a sneaky one.
My dear friend Missy and her children came over in the morning for playtime and chatting. Well, the kids played while we chatted...about everything from natural childbirth to civil disobedience. I have known Missy since my days as a social worker. We had our first babies at the same time. She is so well rounded and passionate. She inspires me.
Aubrey and I had a chill afternoon. She took a long nap, while I attempted to read...and dozed off. I kept trying to use my birthday as leverage. "Aubrey, can you pick up your books? It's my birthday! Aubrey, can you throw the ball for Stella? It's my birthday! Aubrey, for the love of all that is good and holy can you please poop in the potty? IT'S MY BIRTHDAY!" She wasn't buying it.
After Matt came home we got take out for dinner and watched So You Think You Can Dance. I think I cried real tears during at least two of the dances. I tried to pass it off on pregnancy hormones...but who am I kidding? It never takes much to bring me to tears. Especially when it comes to beautiful art and music. P.S. I hope that Melanie wins the whole thing.
So, I am happy to be 28. I am glad to be alive. I am thrilled to be a vessel for new life.
3 comments:
HAPPY BIRTHDAY! Glad you had a fun, special day.
Oh Megan, I meant to call you all day yesterday and then since I lost my phone and all my contacts a while ago, I realized I didn't have your number and so I was going to call Matt and then one thing after another and I forgot. I'm glad it was a good day. Happy birthday!
Happy (belated) Birthday!!! I so feel ya on the boring motherhood b-days. Thank goodness we have husbands to help us celebrate :)
Post a Comment