Tuesday, August 24, 2010

Soak It Up

Today was the most glorious day.  We got a break from the heat, and it was in the 70's for most of the day, and boy the sun was shining!  It was decided early on that family night would include a bike ride around our neighborhood lake, followed by freshly baked chocolate chip cookies.

So after dinner we hopped on our bikes (Matt pulled Aubs in her trailer...what will we do when she outgrows it?) to enjoy the beautiful evening.  The sun was shining bright in the western sky, but it was cool enough that Aubrey needed one of her new fall hoodies.  Of course we stopped at the park where our little noodle squealed and giggled down the slide a million times.  (Why didn't I bring the camera?)

We took the long way around the lake because I didn't want to go home.  There were families out walking the trails, or paddling on the lake, or walking their dogs.  It seemed like everyone had the same idea...soak in summer while it's still here!

I felt so blessed today.  Blessed by the sunshine and the sparkling lake.  Blessed by the clear air and the blue sky.  By the sound of Aubrey's laughter, and the strong hand I hold as we watch her play.  Blessed by the simple, beautiful pleasures of life.  Days like today make me wonder how I ever got so lucky.

So, I think that when I lay my head down tonight I will only offer a prayer of gratitude...for this fortunate life I lead.

1 comment:

whitney said...

Thanks for the reminder that there are so many things we should be soaking up while we have the chance.