Thursday, March 12, 2009

Caring

Spring brings with it so many things. Warmer weather, more outdoor activities, the increased desire to kiss (or is that just me?). It also requires wearing less layers and showing more skin. *sigh*

Generally speaking I am almost always a little self-conscious about my weight. I know I am not huge, but I am chubby and I carry my weight in all the wrong places. If only I could redistribute what is in my tummy to my boobs. The world would be a better place! Anyway...

But over this past winter I experienced the freeing feeling of "I just don't care." I don't know what happened, but I really did just stop caring. I didn't care about dieting, or exercising, or even criticizing myself. When January 1st came around, for the first time in about 7 years none of my resolutions had anything to do with what I looked like.

Maybe it is because I've got a full plate of worry right now...about things much more important than my pants size. Maybe it's because I know more about who I am on the inside, and that is more important. Or maybe it was because I just got tired of caring.

Well, it was fun while it lasted!

Matt and I went shopping last weekend. Getting ready for spring, you know. And even though I didn't gain any weight over the winter, it was a real shock to all of a sudden see my arms, and my legs (spray tan please!) in all those light weight materials. And now I care again, people. I care something fierce!

This time around it isn't about pounds. I really just want to feel comfortable in my skin. I want my clothes to fit nicely. I want to get into shape and have a regular exercise routine. I want to eat foods that I love...just less of them. I want to do something for myself, and show my body that it is important too. I just want to feel good!

So, over the next few days I'm going to come up with a plan. Something effective, but nothing so intimidating that I'll never stick with it. I'm going to lay it all out here, because then at least I'll have someone to be accountable to, right?:)

If you have any suggestions/advice I'd love to hear it!

P.S. Anyone know a personal trainer who will work for free?

5 comments:

Unknown said...

Thank Goodness for the inventor of the spray tan. I mean really, Thank You! Envy Sun, just off of Bangerter and 106th has Mystic for $20. It only lasts about a week but for that week you will feel totally cool. I highly recommend it at least once...unless you have unlimited funds and can affort $20 a week just to feel cool!

Mrs. S said...

I signed up with "sparkpeople.com" and I've enjoyed it. It gives menue ideas to eat healty or lose weight, depending on what you want. I've lose 3 lbs, which is fun!

Kika VilaNova said...

Megan,
Trevor is a personal trainer. He won't be able to work many hours for free but he can probably meet with you once a month and help you get a kick start and keep you on track. He would also work for food! ha ha ha :)

On another note, I would suggest trying to eat as well as you can. In our house we don't allow sugar or sugary treats, candy, chips, sodas, anything like that. Of course get treat ourselves when we go out or to a party, but make your home your sacred healthy haven. it totally helps!
My dr had me avoid the 5 whites as much as possible before I got preggo and I lost 20 pounds in 3 months and have been able to maintain some healthy habits in my pregnancy, only gained 20lbs which is baby and liquid weight. The 5 whites would be white bread, white rice, pasta, sugar, potatoes. Get your carbs from fruits and veggies. You will crave those things in the beggining (it was SO HARD for me to not eat my fav cereal) but then you will love the fruits and veggies and lean meats.

Little by little you can teach your body to crave healthier things.

And above all, you know we think you're beautiful! beauty will come from the inside out and you HAVE IT already :)

hugs and keep us posted!!

LCM said...

Read the book that Oprah did with Bob Greene. It totally helped me out with the exercise part and it gave me plenty to think about.

missy. said...

the only thing that works for me is keeping a food journal. i can exercise every single day and still not drop a pound...but as soon as i start writing down everything i eat, i start losing. (then as soon as i STOP writing down everything i eat, it all comes back ;) ) anyway, that's my best advice: don't make any foods off-limits, but write them down when you eat them to increase your mindfulness about what you're eating. conscious eating often translates into healthy eating, in my experience.