Friday, March 14, 2008

Grilling, Jobs, and Vacation

It seems that my lovely husband has a bit of spring fever. A couple days ago, when it was sunny and 57 degrees outside he decided it was time to warm up the grill! I am all for grilling, mostly because that is the only way I can get Matt to be in charge of dinner. So, if he is happy to do it, then I am happy to let him. However, I think he is so excited for spring/summer that he wants to grill everyday now! I don't want to turn down the offer for him to cook, but can my tummy really handle all that meat? Does anyone grill veggies?

And speaking of my lovely husband...he accepted a job offer this week! We are both so excited. They sent all the official papers in the mail and I think we've gone through it at least 3 times together. It is crazy to think that Matt is about to start his career. This is the beginning of a whole new chapter in our lives.

We've been talking lately about taking a little vacation of some sort before he starts as a project engineer. Originally we thought we would go to St. George for a couple of days and enjoy some warm weather. But after talking about it...we weren't sure how well that would work with Aubrey. She is in bed by 6:30 every night, so what would we do after she went to bed? We certainly can't leave and go do something. We can't watch TV or movies...because she'll be in the same room as us, and would for sure wake up. Plus, in order for her to be happy she needs two naps a day. It sounds like a lot of money to spend just to sit in a hotel room for the majority of our trip.

So then I thought maybe we could just spend a night away in Salt Lake, and have my mom come here and stay with Aubrey. But then...does that really feel like a vacation? Matt doesn't think so. But let me tell ya, one night away from diapers, teething, and early wake ups seems like vacation to me! Matt wondered how I would feel to leave Aubrey with my mom for a couple of days. What!? He pointed out that she will almost be 14 months old at that point...and she doesn't nurse anymore. And she is comfortable with my mom. He makes a good point. So, why do I feel like having a nervous breakdown?

I told Matt I would think about it and talk to my mom about it. For other moms, how old was your child the first time you left them overnight? Were you able to enjoy yourself or were you too worried to relax? Am I hopelessly attached to my child? Are other moms just as scared to leave their children? Please help!

13 comments:

Matt Armstrong said...

YES! Grilled vegetables are awesome. Just toss them with a little olive oil and some kosher salt before you slap them on the grill. Zucchini (or however it's spelled), Summer Squash, Potatoes, Bell Peppers are all great on the grill. Also, sweet potatoes are AMAZING grilled.

(Oh thanks for getting me started on food...)

Also, congrats on the job!!!

missy. said...

i love grilled veggies. pretty much any kind. (the previous post gave you some good suggestions.) also, you can buy extra-firm tofu, cut it into triangles, marinate it in any sauce you like, and grill it! yum.

Eliza said...

Peter is almost 18 months old and we've still yet to ever leave him somewhere else overnight. I know I'd have a hard time... was he sleeping alright? ...is he sad? ...is he being a pill to the person taking care of him? ...

My little guy has me on a short leash, I guess. But two of my sisters who have boys the same age as Peter have left their kids with my mom for a couple of days more than once. So, I know if I did that too Peter and my mom would survive. I just don't know if Paul and I would. We're maybe a little extreme... I dunno.

Sally said...

Just wanted to let you know that I had absolutely no problem leaving my kids. Does that make me a horrible mother? I don't think so. Do I miss them like crazy? YES! But it's so worth it. Remember you're a wifey first! Go away for a few days and you'll be so happy to come back to your life with Aubrey.

Sally

p.s. I might be coming out with Kate the end of May!

beapinkal said...

Well Megan! I have to tell you that Bence turned two and never went away from him overnight.I think i couldn't do that. I know probably it's not a best thing to do but that how i feel. Maybe i will do it as soon as he can tell to grandma what his problem, or what he wants or whatever. I know myself and i know I wouldn't be comfortable somewhere else with out him for a night or two. But that is just me. If you feel the you could do it you should. And if Aubrey is fine with your mom... maybe it won't be a problem at all. I just wanted to let you know that I haven't did it yet...so it's ok to feel that way as you feel.:)

Rachel said...

It's really good if you grill shishkabobs (however you spell that) with bell peppers, pineapple, onions, and mushrooms. Just dip the peppers and onions in olive or canola oil first. Will you guys have to move somewhere for Matt's new job? Congratulations.

Anonymous said...

we left our son when he was about that age at grandma's house. i worried about him and constantly wondered how he was. grandma said that he didn't even know we were gone. i think it's easier on them than we think. (when we came home, the look on his face was priceless and worth the time apart.)

Eliza said...

Totally unrelated but I found a post from my sister's friend about digital scrapbooking that I thought you might be interested in...

http://jaredandjenday.blogspot.com/2008/03/just-tidbit.html

Mrs. S said...

I love grilling! Everything tastes so much better that way! Congrats on the job too!

Erica said...

Congrats on the job! This will definitely be an exciting time for your little family :)

About grilling...absolutely love it! One of my favorite things is to cut up zucchini and squash into long strips and marinate it in some Italian dressing. So delish!

And..about leaving your baby. I left Brooklyn for the first time 2 weeks ago (she was about 10 1/2 months) and I thought for sure that I would break down and be calling every second and whatnot but it actually was wonderful and left me so revived and I think a better mom. We love our babies so much but a little break now and then is a good thing :)

Mrs. H said...

Jenae has been taking KK every Thursday night since this semester (he was 1 at the beginning) and at first I was apprehensive but then I remember who's watching him and how good of a job she does with him. I figured if I showed anxiety towards him spending the night then he would have anxiety. But if I was happy about leaving him, then he would be happy too. Take small steps. Leave her with your mom for a couple of hours. Bree will soon understand that you are not leaving forever and that you always come back.

It's Miller Time said...

Take a trip! I didn't leave Izzy until she was almost two and it was hard but we had so much fun. She didn't even know we were gone and had a ton of fun at Grandma's. The only time it was hard on me is when I would call to check on her and hear her voice in the background. Plus a trip will leave you feeling relaxed and will make you a better mommy when you get back to her.

Rachael said...

congrats on the job!! so exciting!

The first time I left Abigail overnight was when I was in the hospital giving birth to Juliet. And I haven't left her since. But at the same time, I would be okay with leaving her with my parents, I just...haven't.

Can you push Bree's bedtime at all? Sometimes we can "adjust" our kids' sleeping schedules up to 3 hours, if we don't mind getting a late start the next day. Abigail gave up two naps a day at 12 months and started going to bed around 7 and sleeping until 7; she'd just nap for 3 hrs in the afternoon. So Bree might be adjustable--she's kind of at that in-between age, perhaps?