Thursday, January 17, 2008

The Great Tumble of 2008

Today was a rough day at our house. First of all, Aubrey is getting her second top tooth. It is sooo close, I expect it to break through by tomorrow morning. So, she has been her whiny, cranky, toothing self all day long. At first I was feeling really bad for her...I know it must hurt a lot. But as the day wore on, and the whining became more and more constant (i have witnesses...Melanie saw it all first hand) I grew less and less patient. She wouldn't eat her food, she whined when I walked away from her, she whined when I put her down. She whined and whined and whined. She was obviously miserable and I was too. By the time Matt got home my nerves were shot!

And secondly, today will from here on out be known as the great tumble of 2008. Ok, I'm being dramatic (surprise, surprise). Today while I was putting away some clean clothes I had Aubrey on the bed, propped up on a pillow. While my back was turned I heard a big thud and knew it could only be the thud that comes from a baby who has toppled off of the bed! That's right...she fell face first right off the bed. The bed that we have raised on furniture lifters. It was awful! Good gravy, even thinking about it now brings me close to tears. I turned around to find Bree face down, laying in a jumble. She immediately started screaming and as soon as I scooped her up in my arms I started crying too. But she quickly calmed down and sucked on her fingers while I rocked her and kissed her and apologized to her. She recovered much quicker than me. I think it took me about 15 minutes to stop shaking. Talk about mommy guilt! I know babies and little kids get bumps and bruises all the time...but this was the first time that Aubrey was hurt as a result of my neglect. Sad day for us both:(

But just 20 minutes later, she looked like this!
Aren't babies so forgiving?!:)
Oh, and here is another cute sitting picture!
Hopefully tomorrow will be better!

6 comments:

whitney said...

Ahhh, I'm sorry. I know it sucks. A month or so ago, Georgia fell down our stairs (and we have a lot of them!). Keep in mind she was only 6 months-ish. I felt absolutely horrible, but she seemed ok and recovered quickly. Who knew she could move so fast?! As much as you try, you just can't protect them from everything. I know it sounds callous, but you'll get used to the bumps and bruises. Scratch that-it breaks my heart everytime it happens.

Melanie said...

What a day! I can't believe those pictures- the second one is purely Marilyn Monroe, Jr. (in an adorable way). They definitely would fool you as to what a day it really was. But you survived! Hopefully today is a better day!

Aubrey said...

It breaks my heart when babies fall! Once I had Hyrum in my hands and Madison wanted me to hold her too. I was sitting in a chair, so I leaned over to pick her up too, and Hyrum's whole body (floppy at that point) slid right out of my arms. Oh, I felt awful! Its a good thing babies are so forgiving and heal easily! I hope you and Aubrey are having a better day today!

missy. said...

i know what you mean...kya is covered with bumps and bruises because she loves pulling herself up and climbing up on everything, and she's learning to stand alone...but inevitably she falls and bumps her head and she cries for a minute, but then she recovers quickly and immediately starts climbing again. so the other day at the grocery store joe was feeling self-conscious pushing her around in the grocery cart because she had a bruise on her forehead, another bruise on her cheek, and a little red spot near her eye. awful, huh?! he felt like everyone was looking at him and mentally accusing him of something...

Rachael said...

oh megan, i am there with you. when Juliet was about 2 weeks old, i FOLDED MY KIDS UP in the stroller! it was brand-new and I didn't know you had to lock the wheels in place, and Abigail lunged forward and it just folded up on both of them and juliet fell to the bottom of the stroller and abigail fell onto the garage floor and they were both stuck and it was the most awful thing that has happened to me in quite some time.

also, i was reading an article in parents magazine and it mentioned this website: http://www.coverageforall.org/finder/index.php for finding health care coverage for children with pre-existing conditions.

i don't know if you've already seen that, but i thought i would pass it on.

Adrienne said...

We did that very thing to Luke one time and he recovered fine. I was worried the whole day he had a concussion or something. But that doesn't top the time I hit a crack in the sidewalk and he wasn't strapped in and i dumped him headfirst onto the sidewalk. That was traumatic. And I must say to Rachel, as terrible as that experience is, I laughed pretty hard. Folding your kids up in the stroller has got to be a good one for funniest home videos as long as they don't get too hurt and from the looks of your kids on your blog, they're fine.