Sunday, November 4, 2007

Feeding Time

Bree had her first taste of green food yesterday: peas!! I was surprised how well she accepted it considering that she mostly eats fruits and sweet potatoes. She did great as long as she could suck on her fingers for a few seconds between each bite. What a funny girl. If you're wondering why she is shirtless...well, all of her bibs were dirty (it was laundry day) and I didn't want to sacrifice her clothes. We took Bree to the doctor recently, and she still hasn't gained any weight since her 4 month checkup! Still holding strong at 16 pounds 2 ounces:( The doctor is starting to get worried and so are we. Bree started out HUGE, so to see her keep getting longer and longer and not put on any weight is sad. She still nurses at least five times a day and eats solid food about 3 times a day. She doesn't seem like she is hungry, but we are going to try mixing a scoop of formula with her rice cereal twice a day for some extra calories.

I'm pretty sure my milk supply is still good...but how do you really know without renting an electric pump and pumping?? If there are any moms out there with advice I'd love to hear it!

5 comments:

Ann said...

Now I'm no doctor and I don't know Bree's situation, but I can tell you a bit about our situation. Halle gained massive amounts of weight in the first 4 months, but by six months she was dropping off the growth charts. My doctor explained that up until 6 months, the baby still has pregnancy hormones in them, causing them to gain lots of weight. After that, their growth changes. Also, Bree goes through some pretty rigorous exercises because of her physical therapy. Maybe her body is focusing so much on that, that it's not as concerned about gaining weight right now. I think you're doing the best you can. I know it can be scary, but hang in there. Everything's gonna turn out fine.

Kathryn Cooper said...

Hi Nelson Family! It's the Cooper family from back in the day. I found you on the Morales blog. I don't have much advice because I only breast fed Tyson up to 5 months because I got an ovarian cyst and had to get back on The Pill to make it go away. I'd love to hear from y'all. Check out our blog.

Erica said...

So I have no advice for ya. But...those beautiful eyes that's another story. They seem like they just look at you so innocently like she can never do anything wrong! I love it - she is absolutely adorable :)

Mrs. S said...

I always really struggled with that when I breastfed Madelyn. She's pretty much weaned now...I didn't make a very good milk cow, but I always worried that I wasn't producing enough, and I would sometimes give her a bottle after breastfeeding to see if she was still hungry. Usually she was. It really is a tough situation, but I would think if she's not acting hungry...she probably isn't. I never could pump to test because my milk didn't let down for a pump. I say just keep doing to best you can, and are, and she will be fine.

missy. said...

i'm no doctor, but everything i've read suggests to me that if your baby is happy and regularly filling up diapers, she is getting enough to eat. babies who take bottles have a harder time "monitoring their portions" but breastfed babies are usually very instinctual and eat exactly the right amount.

but if you're worried, you could call the warm line and ask for advice. (do you still have their number? through the lactation clinic at orem community?)

and by the way, i strip kya down to feed her all the time. she consistently makes a fantastic mess and it's easier to just pop her in the bathtub :)