Wednesday, October 24, 2007

Tech Baby?

Part of the daily exercise routine that I do with Aubrey (as prescribed by the physical therapist) includes a TON of tummy time. This has gotten extremely difficult ever since Aubrey became an expert at rolling. She would prefer to be flat on her back all the time. So she starts fussing when we even start moving her onto her tummy...and resists with every bit of strength she has. Then, once we get her on her tummy, in order to keep her there we have to position pillows on either side of her so she can't roll over...but that doesn't really work, because if she tries hard enough she can still roll over. So then we try holding her hips down to prevent her from rolling over. This is just ridiculous because she spends her whole 5 minutes of "tummy time" crying and trying to use her head to throw her body over to her back, and by this point we usually end up just giving in and letting her roll over because we can't take the crying anymore! ARRRHHG!

So, this morning we were going through this very irritating scenario again, and as usual I said something like "Fine! Just roll over! I'm done!" and threw in the towel. I let Aubrey play on her back with some toys while I decided to check my email. I set the laptop on the floor to answer my cell phone and when I came back into the room I watched Bree roll from her back to her tummy in order to get close to the computer. Once she did that she stayed on her tummy for a good 5-7 minutes just touching it and looking at it! I was amazed and very amused. Then later, when we were trying tummy time again I decided to see what would happen if I set the diaper bag by her. Again, she rolled from her back to her tummy so she could get closer to it and check it out. Then, later I tried a magazine...and the same thing happened (of course, then she terrorized the Ensign...but it's no biggie).

Now, comes the funny part. So later when we went to physical therapy (it was awful, but that's another post in itself) the physical therapist was trying to get her to roll over from her back to her tummy with toys, and she wasn't having any of it. I told him what had happened at home today, so he went and got his laptop and set it beside her...and she rolled right over to get it, and spent around 5 minutes of cry-free time on her tummy! I guess the key is letting her get something she normally isn't allowed to touch:). Either that or she is really into breakable and expensive electronics!

5 comments:

Unknown said...

That is so cute! I think that is why baby toys are becoming so expensive, one day they are going to be computers! Quincey only seems to like "non-toys" too. But hey, whatever motivates them, I guess ;)

Rachel said...

Maybe she has "the knack" http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BMzfgnTted0
You should check out this video on You tube, it's funny.

Matt Armstrong said...

Careful! Babies are well known for liking to pull the keys off the keyboard. Make sure to take and print a picture of the keyboard so when she pulls off all the keys, you know how they go back on...

missy. said...

cute. kya responds to the same kinds of things. she is waaaaaaaaay more interested in magazines, my keys, the phone, and the remote control than she is in any of the expensive toys people give her :) why do we even bother buying toys?!?

Kristin Hanson said...

Thus proving my theory that the only toys babies need are things that are already lying around the house. Who needs to spend a fortune on baby toys when all they need is a box and some keys? Oh, and I have a ton of old magazines and wrapping paper if you want them for tummy time :)